Open Educational Resources
- What are Open Educational Resources?
- What types of open educational resources are available in the OERx Platform?
There are many types of open educational resources on the platform, including:
Video, texts, images, online courses and learning activities.
- What are the advantages of open educational resources?
- Free and available to everyone at any time.
-Stimulates collaborative content development by creating peer-to-peer collaborative networks.
-Applies the principle of equal learning opportunities for all, as it promotes self-learning.
-Contributes to identifying learners' needs according to the variables of each level which achieves the currency of the content.
-Improves the quality of education by providing opportunities for creative and critical thinking.
- Copyrights are reserved.
-Easy access to resources
-Saves authors and learners time and effort.
-Expands the scope of interdisciplinary teaching.
- What are the domains of open educational resources offered by the platform?
The platform provides open educational resources for all learning, awareness and training domains.
- Can learners customize the educational resources and add their favorite resources list on OERx Platform?
The learners can customize a set of resources by creating their own learning pathway. They can also add any resource to the favorite list.
- Can I share open educational resources on the Platform?
Open educational resources can be shared on social media or learning platforms by clicking on (Share) icon.
- What is meant by the learning pathway on the platform?
The learning pathway means a package of open educational resources falls under a specific classification where the editor can create, add and modify resources and inserting metadata of the pathway; It can also be shared with others.
- How to evaluate the open educational resources on the platform?
After logging into the platform, the learners can evaluate the resources.
2. OERx Platform
- What is OERx Platform?
National OER platform for building, sharing, and using trusted open educational resources in accordance with the Digital Content Quality Standards.
- What does the platform provide?
OERx provides open content for learning, training and awareness to support learning and training operations.
- Is the registration required to access the platform’s information and services?
Individuals can access the platform’s services without registration; however, the content providers registration is required to access services.
- Who can publish open educational recourses on the platform?
All institutions that own learning, training and awareness content with open license can publish their resources on the platform.
- How to join as a partner of the National Open Educational Resources Program?
Fill the form https://oerx.nelc.gov.sa/form/join
- Who is the target group of the platform services?
The platform targets all segments of society.
- Do I have to pay any fees to use open educational resources on the platform?
No fees are required to use the open educational resources available on the platform.
- How to change my personal information such as mobile number or email?
Personal information can be changed via the user's profile in the platform.
- Who can view the institution’s profile and use the resources?
All platform visitors can view the institutions’ pages.
- Does the institution have the right to change the interface of its page?
Yes, the institution can change the logo and banner.
- How can I link to the institution's YouTube channel to the platform?
By clicking on Resources Management icon and then linking the channel to the institution’s account on the platform.
- What types of open educational resources are available on the platform?
Resources can be uploaded as (Video) or online course (SCORM).
- Why resources other than videos are not available on the platform?
The selection of the video is based on studies that showed the student interaction and acceptance with the content provided by teachers in the video clips, as it was proven to be useful to audio-visual learners. Comparing the visual content on OERx to the content on YouTube platform shows that the one on OERx is:
-Secure and reliable.
-Guarantees open license without the trouble of searching for the type of license.
-Classified with metadata that allows easy search to find the required results.
-Learning content in accordance with the criteria for excellence in open educational resources.
-Available for reusing and sharing.
-Available to be added in learning pathways.
- Is it possible to upload content that is not owned by the institution?
The institution cannot upload content that it does not own its copyrights, unless it provides proof that the author agrees to publish that content.
- Are there specific criteria for publication?
The program has criteria for excellence in open educational resources that can be viewed in the Knowledge Center (Criteria for Excellence in Online Learning).
3. Intellectual Property Rights
- What is Copyright?
Copyright is set of exclusive legal rights given to the author or creator of an original work to use and publish it, usually for a certain period, so that the owner of the intellectual property receives compensation for their work and can support themselves financially.
- What is license?
A license is the permission you get from the copyright owner of the work you want to use, and it is essentially the license that the owner of the work chooses to decide which rights to hold or waive.
- What is licensing?
Licensing is the process of selecting a specific license, whereby the OER is attributed to the original owner of the resource. OER owners can choose a specific license from the licenses offered by organizations such as Creative Commons, under which other users can use, share, modify and publish the OER.
- What is the difference between the Public Domain License and the Open Commons License?
- What is the difference between the All Rights Reserved License and the Open Commons License?
- What is meant by Creative Commons License?
Creative Commons licenses are a type of license that let others access, reuse, distribute, and remix a specific work, with or without restrictions, have been adopted by Creative Commons.
- What is Creative Commons scope?
5. Creative Commons Type of Licenses
- What are the types of Creative Commons Licenses?
They are six:
1.Attribution (CC BY)
2.Attribution-Share Alike (CC BY SA)
3.Attribution-Non derivative(CC BY ND)
4.Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY NC)
5.Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike (CC BY NC SA)
6.Attribution-NonCommercial-Non derivative (CC BY-NC-ND)
- How to select the appropriate license for open educational resources?
The appropriate license for open educational resources is selected based on the intellectual property rights that the author / content creator / institution can retain or waive to others by answering a set of questions that determine the author’s needs
- What is the 5Rs?
- What is Metadata?
- What is Dublin Core?
8. OER Course (Concepts and Practices)
- How to enroll in the course?
Click on the link https://oerx.futurex.sa/courses/course-v1:oerx+1+2023/course/
- What is the target group?
All those interested in open educational resources.
- What are the course objectives?
- Introducing the open educational resources
- Employing OER in Education
- OER Development
- Global Trends in Employing OER in Education
- Can I earn a certificate after completing the course?
The learner earns a certificate after passing the summative evaluation and deliver a project on the open educational resources.
- What are the requirements of passing and earning the certificate?
- Read the content of each level (Video and texts).
- Pass the summative evaluation.
- Submit a project.
- Project evaluation by specialists.
- How to submit the project?
On the course page, click on (Upload the project).
- Can I publish the resource after submitting the project? and where?
The project is arbitrated by a specialist, and then it will be published on OERx Platform.
- What is the type of the open educational resources in the course?
The course contains texts and video and recorded sessions
- What is the course language?
The course content is in Arabic and sessions are in English translated to Arabic.